Sunday, March 31, 2013

Buckwheat Coconut Cupcakes (Gluten/Lactose Free)

I searched most of this week on-line for recipes that were gluten, lactose, nut free.  I found recipes with no wheat, but included nut flowers. Recipes with no nuts or wheat, but were made with butter and milk.

So this recipe was an experiment for me - I combined the general measurements of a few different recipes and changed things up to make a buckwheat coconut cupcake. The flavor is a little nuttier than regular flour because of the buckwheat, and I think they came out great!


Ingredients:
3 cups flour (I used buckwheat)
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder (aluminum free)
1/3 cup olive oil
13 oz. Coconut Milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

Very simple instructions:
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until blended.
Line 24 muffins tins and fill to 3/4 full.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 mins.

























I tasted the batter - it tasted like other cake batters.
The batter did seem a little thinner to me, but baked into a nice firm cupcake.

I mixed Confectioner's sugar and 2 Tablespoons of Coconut milk into a glaze. Then I toasted some sweetened coconut in the over for about 10 mins. in a roasting pan.  Check and stir - the edges toasted really fast. I mixed the cooled coconut into the glaze and used as a frosting.

The verdict after tasting with the frosting, is that the flavor is more like a muffin, and although delicious with frosting, will be just as good plain for breakfasts with fruit.

Also- because it made 24, I will be putting some in the freezer to see how they keep long term.

All in all - I'm happy to find something to be a dessert for us!






No comments:

Post a Comment