Sunday, March 3, 2013

My first foray into Quinoa

With this new development of gluten and lactose free, I am looking to discover new grains and dishes to make for the week.  I am going to bring Quinoa for lunch and cooked it for the first time tonight.

I'm starting with a very simple recipe:


1 Tablespoon of Oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 carrots chopped 
1 cup Quinoa 
2 cups broth
2/3 cup walnuts (I left these out)
1/4 cup fresh parsley ( I used 2 Tablespoons dried)
There were no other seasoning suggestions on the bag - I did use salt and pepper.




Cook the onions in the oil until they are translucent (5 mins)
Add carrots and cook for another 3 minutes
Add broth and Quinoa and bring to a boil
Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 mins.

On the wood cooktop it took 15 mins for the Quinoa to be done.


Bring to a boil (I added parsley here because it was dried)

Simmer for 15-20 minutes 
Yum - the flavor is good, reminds me of brown rice  & veggies
I like the flavor of Quinoa and will bring it for lunch this week with boiled potato and other veggies instead of pasta and wheat snacks.


2 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about quinoa but have yet to try it. Thanks for sharing the photos as it looks quite easy to prepare. You've inspired me so I'll have to buy some and try it. :o)

    I wanted to also comment on your health situation per your last post. I have environmental allergies and wonder if I also have food allergies or am at least sensitive to certain foods or ingredients. I have thought of trying to go gluten-free to see if it would help as sometimes I just feel so tired and just plain blah!

    I also wonder if food intolerances affect environmental allergies? Something for me to look into I think.

    Thanks for sharing your journey. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra, I really like the quinoa. Brought it for lunch today, didn't have any kind of reaction to it - so it's a keeper. I would change the recipe to add more spices to it and more veggies. It was a little bland for me :)

    As far as health things go - I have been tested repeatedly for allergies and the sensitivities change each time. My experience is that I feel better without gluten/wheat or lactose. The dull headache is gone and I have more energy. Being tired all the time was the worst part of what I was feeling.

    I am happy to share what I am doing because something is finally working.
    Take care :)

    ReplyDelete